Dog Helps Save Boy Trapped In Tumble Dryer
Monday 14 November 2016 18.08 GMT Last modified on Monday 14 November 2016 18.21 GMT
Press Association the Guardian
A family dog helps save boy trapped in a tumble dryer in the UK. Read the full story below.
There is a new hero dog in town. A cockapoo by the name of Teddy is now hailed as a hero after saving a boy who was trapped in a tumble dryer. The incident happened at the family home in Bangor, County Down, UK.
It all started on Sunday, November 13, 2016 when five-year-old Riley Gedge-Duffy got stuck inside the dryer that, for some reason, started up. Little Riley, a Down's syndrome patient, sustained burns to his back, arms, and head.
The boy's father, Aaron Duffy, said: “My wife was upstairs hoovering at the time and the dog ran upstairs and basically went berserk so she knew something was not right.
“When she went downstairs she saw our older son watching TV and asked ‘where’s Riley?’ The dog was barking like mad and running backwards and forwards to the tumble dryer, but because it was so dark inside she could not see where Riley was.
“They could hear banging and crashing and could see his iPad going round and round. We suspect he was inside for a couple of minutes. She pulled Riley out and started pouring cold water over him. I arrived home about 40 seconds later, stripped him and took him into the shower to cover him in cold water. After that I dialled 999. It doesn’t bear thinking about what might have happened if the dog had not been there.”
At Ulster hospital in Dundonald, Riley is doing quite well. He was expected to have a CT scan to check the swelling to his head.
Riley's father said, “He’s doing very well, apart from the burns and bruising to the head,” he said. “But he is in good enough form and is getting back to his old self.”
A hospital spokeswoman described the boy’s condition as comfortable.
Duffy, 42, warned other parents of the dangers posed by tumble dryers, and thanked ambulance and medical staff for their swift response.
Aaron said: “You read about these things happening, but this happened in our house and I just want other parents to be aware. We have a bigger than usual tumble dryer because there are six of us in the house and we have lots of laundry. It’s not an old model or anything but by just turning the dial and closing the door, that triggers it to start.
“It angers me, really, when I think about what could have happened. Kids have suffocated and the heat drawing the air could have killed Riley quicker. Only for our dog reacting the way she did, my wife would not have known something was up.”
He said it was the second time in two months that Teddy had warned of danger. “The dog alerted us that an iPhone charger was catching fire. The she dog helps save boy from a disastrous situation. She’s a brilliant dog, it is amazing.”
The Northern Ireland ambulance service described the incident as “horrific” and said crews were on the scene within six minutes.
“Today Riley is back to his old self and we will maybe get him a wee visit to the station next week,” the service said.
That is one lucky boy to have such a great friend. What a hero: dog helps save boy. What do you think? Please rate and leave your comment below.