Homemade Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Have you been keeping up on the news about dog treats lately? If so you've probably noticed that many treats get recalled for various reasons but mainly because of health risk concerns. If you're like me you probably hesitate about buying any kind of dog treat because of the potential health risks. If so, then why not make your own dog treats.
I came across this recipe a few years ago and have been using it as often as I can. It is healthy, nutritious, and absolutely safe.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Cooking Spray
- Start by scrubbing potatoes well. I leave the skin on, but you could peel them if you like.
- Cut into 1/8″ thick slices.
- Spray a microwave-safe dinner plate lightly with cooking spray.
- Spread the slices out so they aren’t overlapping. If you have any thicker slices, put them on the outer edges.
- microwave on high for 3 minutes then flip and microwave on high for another 3 minutes. Flip them again and microwave for about 2 more minutes on each side. Continue doing this until they are cooked through and look like the image below. They should be crisp when finished.
You can store these treats in an air-tight container and they will keep fresh for about 5 days. However, your dog may really love these treats and you'll need to make another batch in a couple of days.
Have a special treat that you like to make for your pet? We'd like to hear about it. Just let us know in the comments below. And don't forget to rate and share this article.
Want to know what other foods are healthy and nutritious for your pet? If so you might want to head on over to 9 Foods That Are Great For Your Dog.